Thursday, August 18, 2005

Beck - Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime


I couldn't wait to put my first post up... so I'm skipping ahead of my original idea to start with the center of my music collection, and instead bring in one of my new favorites.

I've been a Beck fan since the first time I heard 'Loser'. It was one of the first CDs I fleeced BMG for (back in the pre-mp3 days), and unlike many of the other discs I got in those many orders, Mellow Gold did not end up in the used CD bins of the local shops.

I've had a hard time swallowing the fact that Beck is a Scientologist, but it doesn't take away from the fact that Beck is essentially a modern Bob Dylan without the lyrical eloquence and awful voice. And by modern, I mean avant-garde. The guy pulls more styles out of his lo-fi hat than just about anyone else in the music industry, and he rarely misses.

This post is dedicated to an amazing song Beck put out for the movie Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, 'Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime'. As for the movie, if you haven't seen it, you should go rent it NOW. Michel Gondry + Charlie Kaufman = greatness. Beck's song is the haunting theme to the movie, and it works perfectly with this original and heartwarming love story (you will not often hear me use that cliche again...).

Right now, you get the link to the remix of the song done by JoolsMF. Its a good retake on an amazing song. When I resolve my hosting dilemma, you'll be getting the original version also.

Beck - Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime (JoolsMF Remix)

No comments: